In 1226, Henrik of Latvia wrote the Chronicle of Livonia, which included a description of an ancient Estonian wooden castle located on the Rakvere Vallimägi hill called Tarvanpea. In Estonian, Tarvanpea means "the head of an aurochs". In the middle ages it was replaced with the mighty stone castle which was under Danish, German, Russian, Swedish and Polish rule for about 400 years. The castle was destroyed 1605. Between the ruins are open-air stage and museum.